Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon +1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- As many chocolate chips as your heart desires (a good starting point would be ¼ cup)
- Put the flour into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on full power in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the flour reaches a temperature of 165 °F. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, mix together softened butter, sugar and brown sugar with a fork until well combined.
- Add milk to butter and sugar mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Stir the salt into the flour, then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips and enjoy!
- Cooking the flour in the microwave makes it safe to consume – you’ll want to heat it to 165 F, which in my microwave took 90 seconds.
- This recipe is NOT for baking, it’s exclusively for eating raw. Check out the “Real Talk” section for my recommended baked chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Like this recipe? Leave a rating and a comment at the bottom of the page!
Obligatory Fictional Backstory
But raw cookie dough gives me a tummy ache…even though it’s SO good.
How to make edible cookie dough with no eggs? Time to experiment!
I actually tried a few recipes that are floating around the internet, and after some closer looks (you know, not at midnight when I had a cookie dough craving) I realized why none of them were quite right – the ratios were WAY off. One in particular called for a teaspoon of salt – it was like eating a salt lick!!!
Since I have a past life as a chemist and am a card-carrying nerd (I was part of a math honors society in college and they gave me a card), I was able to calculate the correct amounts of ingredients to reduce my favorite chocolate chip cookie dough recipe down to a…..single serving?
Yeah. We’ll go with that.
I love cookie dough. I mean, who doesn’t? The CDC may advise against eating raw dough but “I ain’t skeered”.
However, I realized that there are other people who might be “skeered”. For example, pregnant women who don’t want to risk hurting their baby. Or immunocompromised people who could have serious, lasting effects from foodborne illness.
So friends, this is for you! Because I do my best to support everyone as much as I can, and make sure that everyone can have the fantastic experience of eating raw cookie dough.
The recipe is based off of what I consider to be the best, most classic chocolate chip cookie recipe: TOLL HOUSE. If you want dough you can bake, I highly recommend using the original recipe – this one won’t rise or bake up correctly, it’s exclusively for eating raw.
Microwaving the flour is important to kill off any nasty bacteria – it’s actually said that more cases of food poisoning from eating raw cookie dough comes from the e-coli in the flour than the salmonella in the eggs!
Fun fact, one aspect of the “fictional” backstory is not, in fact, fiction! Which do you think it is? (if you know me in real life you are not allowed to play lol)
Oh I almost forgot!! I started a Go Fund Me to help keep the blog rolling. Unfortunately when COVID hit I had to cut my hours at my “real” job back to 1/3 of what I was previously working. If you like what you see, would you consider donating a small amount to help cover the costs of web hosting? Click the image below to donate!