Fluffy Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil (I like sunflower oil)
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup pureed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl (or the measuring cup – see note), mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg and oil until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient mixture and stir together gently until no dry spots remain – but be careful not to overmix or the pancakes will get tough.
- Ladle batter onto griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Flip pancakes after bubbles rise to surface and bottoms brown, about 2 to 4 minutes, then cook until the other side is browned.
Like this recipe? Leave a rating and a comment at the bottom of the page!
Obligatory Fictional Backstory
As I sat in my kitchen on a cool fall morning, sipping my pumpkin spice latte, watching the red and gold leaves float gently down from the trees, I thought to myself how nice it would be to have some pumpkin spice pancakes.
Struck by this inspiration, I gathered my ingredients and got to work.
The first batch was a bust – too much spice, too much salt, not enough pumpkin. Plus it was a really, REALLY thick batter that didn’t cook up very well.
A few adjustments later, and it was perfect. A hint of warmth, the slight orange tint from the pumpkin, these pumpkin spice pancakes were a perfect marriage with some real maple syrup and my PSL.
I realized too late that my picture of the pumpkin spice pancakes looks exactly like my picture of my Perfect Pancakes, with the addition of pumpkins. I should probably have taken a photo of the insides too – they are slightly orangey in color and a bit more obvious that there’s pumpkin on the inside than the outside.
These things taste like pumpkin pie for breakfast!! I mean, I’ll eat pumpkin pie for breakfast anyway….but if you’re averse to “dessert” for breakfast, try these lol.
After I made these my husband sent me this photo he found on Reddit:
I think it is possible to take the pumpkin spice thing a little too far and this is a pretty good example of that!
Apologies for the lack of updates – if you follow my Facebook page, you probably saw that we lost our beloved dog of 12 years recently and I have been in mourning. It’s a slow recovery but hopefully I’ll be able to get at least two posts up a month.
While you’re here, can I ask a favor?
I started a Go Fund Me to help keep the blog rolling. Unfortunately when COVID hit I had to cut my hours at my “real” job back to 1/3 of what I was previously working.
If you like what you see, would you consider donating a small amount to help cover the costs of web hosting? Click the image below to donate!