Quick and Easy Fried Rice
- 1 cup dry rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic about 6 cloves
- 1 bag frozen peas and carrots
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil like corn or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup soy sauce I like Kikkoman
- 2 eggs beaten
- Optional: scallions for serving
- Put rice in a small pot and add in the water. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it reaches a boil, stir once and cover.
- Lower heat to a low simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is done.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil and sauté onion over very high heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add in sesame oil and peas and carrots, cook until thawed.
- Add in the rice and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until rice starts to look browned.
- Move rice mixture to edges of pan and pour egg into middle, stir and cook like scrambled eggs.
- Once the eggs are cooked, add in soy sauce and stir entire mixture until mixed well.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle finished fried rice with chopped scallions to serve, if desired.
Obligatory fictional backstory
A little known fact is that the Great Wall of China was built to keep Alexander the Great from discovering this very recipe for fried rice! I managed to get my hands on it while backpacking through the rural outskirts of China. I saved a farmer’s life from an attacking rabid bat and he gave me this recipe as a token of his gratitude. I have since made it for dignitaries, emissaries, and a guy whose sign was Aries and they have all loved it! It has become a staple in our house as well.
A couple of notes:
Fried rice works best with day-old rice so if you think of it, make your rice the night before and stick it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook.
Your preference for saltiness may vary, so feel free to reduce or increase the amount of soy sauce you use as desired.
Sesame oil is a MUST for fried rice. DO NOT substitute any other oil for that. You’ll thank me later.
Hopefully Uncle Roger would not put his leg down from chair upon seeing my recipe for fried rice. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out this video from Nigel Ng – I couldn’t stop laughing!
For more Asian-inspired flavors, check out Umami Chicken and Takeout Style Chicken Lo Mein!
Did you know we have a Pinterest page as well with all of the recipes divided up by category? Go check it out! Fried rice will be found in the “vegetarian” section! https://www.pinterest.com/givemetherecipedammit/
Have a safe and happy 4th of July, try not to blow yourself up!
1 thought on “Quick and Easy Fried Rice”
Pingback: Fried Rice – Give Me The Recipe, Dammit!