As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through one of my links. Thank you for your support!
Italian Dipping Sauce Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can also use breasts but I prefer thighs)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1 15 oz can chicken broth (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Combine oregano, rosemary, basil, parsley, granulated garlic and kosher salt with flour.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, and keep whatever flour mixture is left over for a later step.
- Heat olive oil in the pan and add the chicken. Cook on both sides until browned – chicken may not be cooked through, if it is not add it to the sauce during the simmer. Remove chicken from pan.
- Pour a little bit of chicken stock into the remaining flour mixture and mix well to form a slurry.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the slurry and the remaining chicken stock to the pan and whisk until well combined. (If chicken was not fully cooked during browning, add it back to the pan here).
- Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes until sauce is reduced, then whisk in butter.
- Add chicken back to pan to warm through.
Obligatory Fictional Backstory
I find it hilarious that I love garlic so much since I am married to a vampire. No, seriously. He hates sunlight, sleeps flat on his back with his hands folded over his chest and is super pale. And I’m anemic. It all adds up.
So….the sauce from this Italian dipping sauce chicken is so good I actually drank some of it. Straight out of the pan. No shame. But I would recommend having some crusty bread to dip if you’re having people over that you’d like to impress. My vampire husband and I have been together long enough that he no longer judges me. He’s accustomed to my strangeness as I am to his.
Fun story, when he was a teenager his younger brothers had their friends convinced that he was a real vampire because he worked nights and his room was in the basement and he has always slept on his back with his hands folded, and once he answered the door when one of the kids came over and the kid screamed and ran away. Oddly enough he actually likes garlic too but he prefers onions.
This recipe is based on the Italian dipping sauce you get at fancy Italian restaurants to dip your bread in before the meal – if you’ve never had it, it’s a combination of herbs and REALLY good olive oil, and occasionally Parmesan cheese. It’s delicious. Vampire hubby commented off- hand last time we had it that it would be good as a sauce for chicken, so I decided to experiment and this Italian Dipping Sauce Chicken was the result.
For more garlic, check out Roasted Garlic Soup or Creamy Garlic Farro! What is farro you ask? Find the answer in the recipe!
5 thoughts on “Italian Dipping Sauce Chicken”
Pingback: Italian Dipping Sauce Chicken — Give Me The Recipe, Dammit! | My Meals are on Wheels
Pingback: Sugar and Spice Cookies – Give Me The Recipe, Dammit!
Ok.. yummy and sounds EASY. I love garlic too and will make sure to have some fresh French bread for dipping.
To be honest this is one of my best recipes! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Pingback: Italian Dipping Sauce Chicken – Give Me The Recipe, Dammit!