Smothered Salsa Chicken
A fresh, versatile chicken dinner made with homemade pico de gallo - serve it over salad, in taco shells, with rice, or just on its own!
- 3 medium roma tomatoes diced
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 10 cloves garlic (about 1 bulb) peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeño diced (optional ingredient)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
Combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño (if using), cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and salt in a large bowl.
Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breast and arrange chicken in a 9 x 13" baking dish.
Smother the chicken with the tomato mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 °F internal temperature.
Serve as-is, or sliced over salad, shredded in tortillas (our personal favorite), or over a bed of rice!
- If you have a food processor, you can rough chop the tomato and onion and leave the garlic cloves and cilantro whole and pulse a few times in the processor until it's the consistency you want, then stir in the lime juice and seasonings.
- I prefer to use homemade taco seasoning - this is my go-to recipe (I leave out the red pepper flakes and reduce the black pepper so it's less spicy for the kids)